Bathurst Region - Live, Visit, Invest, Study

Miltary History

Memorials, army camps and minesweepers!

Throughout the city are many memorials dedicated to local men and women who served their country in all theatres of war from the South African Boer War and World Wars l & ll to Vietnam.  Kings Parade in the centre of the city is the site of two imposing monuments: the magnificent War Memorial Carillon where commemorative services are held throughout the year; and the nearby Boer War Memorial from an earlier time. 

 

Bathurst Army Camp

After leaving the car park of the Visitor Information Centre turn right on to the highway and travel over Evans Bridge to Kelso. At the second set of traffic lights turn left into Boyd Street which leads to Limekilns Road. Continue for about 6km and you will reach the entrance of what is now the Bathurst Sheep and Cattle Drome.

Read More >

HMAS Bathurst

HMAS Bathurst was one of 60 Australian minesweepers built during World War II. She weighed 733 tons and was 186 feet long (approximately 60 metres). The HMAS Bathurst had a top speed of 15 knots and a crew of 85. On July 31 1940 the mayor of Bathurst was informed that a corvette type war vessel was to be launched and named after the city of Bathurst as it was considered to be one of the oldest and most historic cities outside of the capital cities of Australia.

Read More >

Carillon

The Bathurst War Memorial Carillon was built by the citizens of Bathurst to commemorate the lives of those who paid the supreme sacrifice for their country. Their memory lives on in the light of the Eternal Flame and the ringing of the bells from within the Memorial. The Memorial was opened on 11 November, Armistice Day, 1933, before an estimated crowd of 15,000. It was dedicated to the fallen on 12 November, 1933.

Read More >